Saturday, September 29, 2018

So when I left off, I had just purchased this KRSC326 cart from Craigslist and cleaned it up.

I wanted to store tall cans in the bottom drawer, but the factory configuration is only an 8" tall drawer.  I decided to remove the 5th drawer (4" tall) and modify the last drawer.  The end result will be a 5-drawer cart with four 4" drawers and one 12" drawer.


I bent up a new drawer face from 20ga steel, the same material the cart is made from.

I ground out the spot welds in the 8" drawer face and removed it!  No turning back now.


First step complete




The drawer gaps came out great!

I couldn't duplicate the drawer pull bends on the brake I have access to, so I had to cut it from the original drawer and weld it to my new drawer front.


I copied the Snap-on Lock'n'Roll retention feature into the new drawer face.  This little notch holds the plastic tab at the end of the drawer latch.



Success! It was just tack welded in this picture.


I decided to keep the 8" tall drawer body, so I built some gussets to strengthen the top 4" of additional drawer face.

One more test fit before welding!


After the gussets were in place, I clamped everything up and fully TIG welded the seam.

After welding and blending the seam, it's ready for primer and paint!




I'm going to use some old putty and DP40LF primer.  The stuff I have isn't good enough for use on the Jetta, but it will be fine for an indoor paint cart!  I did buy new paint though, PPG MTK acrylic urethane in 74148: Snap-on Red!


No comments:

Post a Comment