New tools! I bought a Snap-on TRLL72 extra long, quick-release ratchet. This was a total impulse buy, I got off of the highway to avoid traffic and happened upon Snap-on Dan. Oops!
Here is a comparison against a standard T72 ratchet and a TX72 locking flex ratchet, which I already had.
Now, will it fit...
Back to work. A few months ago, I spent some time reconstructing the shift linkage to remove all of the rubber bushings and replace them with spherical bearings. I took a break to work on some other things, but now I'm back on the finish work in preparation for primer.
Here is the weighted link, I had new tabs welded in place and I have decided to clean it up.
After some grinding. It's not perfect, but I'll add a bit of putty to get everything perfectly symmetric.
The tab itself was a bit asymmetric, so I blued it up and traced out a circle concentric with the hole.
After a bit of trimming I was happy with the radius.
After reworking the edges tangent to the new radius, I was happy with the look considering this tab was hand-cut.
Here was the input linkage just after welding by Bill Lewis. Not too bad! Since I'm smoothing all of the other welds, I decided to smooth this one too.
This piece got a little more work as well. The original stampings were really rough, so I smoothed them out. I also ground out the stock weld, re-welded some portions, and smoothed it into a nice radius.