Monday, November 5, 2018

The toolbox project continues.

After welding, I checked the drawer front and it was visibly warped.

I decided to try a new technique.  This is a test piece using 20ga steel with really tight fits (zero gap), TIG fusion welded (no filler) with pulse.  The intention is to keep the heat to a minimum and therefore reduce welding.

I ended up forming a new drawer pull section, I had to sacrifice the one I had cut from the Snap-on drawer.

Fixtured up with better chill plates

... and I didn't take a picture, but it still warped!  I cut it off and tried again.

This time I decided to try a lap joint with MIG plug welds. I cut the front off of another drawer (I wanted to save one 4" drawer, but decided to use it).

This is the whole reason for all of this.  I can't form this tight bend in the brakes I have access to, but this channel is critical for the Snap-on Lock'N'Roll mechanism that keeps the drawers latched.


Success!! This kept it much more straight.  It's still not perfect (about 0.050" over 28") but close enough for this project.

After all of the plug welding, I ground the welds smooth and laid out some putty.  I wish I had taken a picture before, I probably could get away without putty and just sanding the primer layer.  These ground down really nice.  It also helped that I skipped weld-through primer, which I typically use when plug welding car projects.  Since this will live indoors and never get wet, I left bare steel in all of the lap joints.


No comments:

Post a Comment