Monday, March 11, 2013

I spent most of my weekend slaving over broken MK5s.  Last week my interior door pull broke off.


It turns out the door handle is held on by  two tiny plastic hooks.  I was really pissed when I saw how bad the design was.

I was REALLY pissed when I found out the piece is plastic welded to the door panel, and can't simply be replaced.  I was able to order a new piece from the dealer.


These two little hooks are all that hold the door handle on.  It reminds me of cheap toilet paper; the stuff that isn't strong enough to pull off the roll without tearing.


I was able to cut the old piece off.

Some glue and a little bit of plastic welding, and I'm back in action!  Until it breaks again.

I squeezed in a little bit of time on the mk3.  It was a beautiful day, so I did my sanding outside!

I went to see Dave and his buddy at their new shop.  They rent a big 'ol warehouse in the middle of the woods, it was built in the 1930s by the U.S. Government.  It's loaded with badass old American Iron.

This stove was made in the days when men were men.


Flame cut 1/2" steel.  Bad. Ass.

This grinder looks OSHA approved.

I think this compressor was in Saw IV

'67 Chevy pickup - the next project after the Denali trans is fixed.

They drove to Ohio a few months back to pick up this parts truck

Loading up the old trans in Dave's pickup.

Dave on the right, and Ian - the mad scientist who runs this operation - on the left.

2 comments:

  1. I've got a fix to prevent your door handle from coming off next time: spend less time at the gym!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My arms must be getting buff from all this sanding!

    ReplyDelete