Sunday, October 6, 2013

I went to H2O International in Ocean City, Maryland last weekend.  I didn't make any plans to go since my car isn't done and most of my friends were busy, but a last-minute opportunity popped up.  I ended up towing my friend Jason's 1964 Lincoln Continental convertible to the show.  Four VW guys, in a Chevy, towing a Lincoln to a VW show.  Makes sense, right?

Wednesday night was the first time I saw the car in person.  They were putting the finishing touches on the front bumper as I arrived.


We got it loaded up at about midnight on Wednesday so we were ready to pull out Thursday morning.

'Murica.

Here are some highlights from the show.


This E36 was NOT on airride.

I heard that this car existed and was making its debut at H2O, so I tracked it down in the corner of a random garage.  Maybe it was just a chance encounter, but I like to think I can smell nice MK3s and track them down like a bloodhound.

Longitudinal mounted twin-turbo VR6; Audi trans; BMW rear suspension and drivetrain; BMW front knuckles with BMW 2002 balljoints and stock MK3 control arms.  Add in a beautiful shaved bay and one of the cleanest cages I have seen, and this thing was just plain amazing.  It hasn't driven yet since they just finished it the day before, but the craftsmanship on another level.  This is one of the highest quality cars I have seen.


This was nice and simple.

Honda K20 swapped Caddy

VW brought a new concept car, and I was blown away by the fit and finish.  The quality of the work was simply amazing - custom stamped steel, custom molded plastics, perfect gaps... both the quantity and quality of the one-off parts were inspiring.


There seemed to be a lot more non-VWs in town for H2O this year.  This has been a trend for the past few years, but it seems to be increasing.  A lot of them were very nice!


All loaded up and ready to head home.

Back to work.  I machined a batch of exhaust hangers.  The car-side parts are steel and will be painted, the exhaust-side parts are 304 stainless and will remain bare.

No comments:

Post a Comment