Sunday, October 19, 2014

I took a quick break from the fuel tank to retrieve a non-sunroof roof from the local junkyard.  I've been planning to swap the roof skin, but I also need to swap all of the supports because they're different in a non-sunroof car.  This donor isn't good enough to use the skin, but I can use all of the supports as well as the foam headliner.

I charged up all of my batteries and packed up a handful of fresh blades.

Fro, Jimmy, and Jason met me at the junkyard to help out.  The hardest part was carrying the roof 1/2 mile back to the truck!

MK2 looks on in fear.

While on the subject of roof skins, I also picked up a few more clamps.  The small ones are Napa brand, I picked them up for cheap on eBay.  The larger ones are Blue Point, purchased brand new from the Snap-on website.  The original manufacturer for both brands is Grip-on in Spain.  These are so much easier to use than the Vise-grip branded clamps.

As I prepare to send my interior out for a full re-trim, I picked up a bunch of new-old-stock plastic parts from the local dealer.  This stuff is all very fragile, I wasn't able to find any used pieces without cracks.  Some were only available in tan, so I will have to paint them, but that's considerably less difficult than repairing cracks... and also painting them.

Back to the fuel tank.  In order to get the filler neck and tank bung perfectly aligned, I machined a plug that fit perfectly into both halves of the Wiggins clamp.  There is also a collar on the spacer to allow for the perfect spacing between the two halves.

I tacked it myself, and test-fit the Wiggins clampshell.

I also cut a small relief into the tank.  The clearance between the subframe and tank was just a little too close for comfort, so I added a small indent.  I tacked it all myself, but delivered everything to Bill Lewis for final welding.

After getting the tank back, I decided to make a steel guard to protect the filler neck.  The tire is VERY close to the aluminum filler neck, so any road debris or a failed tire could turn into a serious problem.  This will make sense in a minute...

The filler neck is 2" tubing, so I bought some 16ga steel 3" diameter tubing to allow for some air gap.  The bend radius of the tubing was a little too wide, so I had to pie cut it and tighten everything up.

Now this should make a little more sense!  I also made up a bolt-on coupler so the guard can bolt into the tank cradle.  I forgot to take some in-progress pictures, but this is the lower half of the filler neck guard.

I still need to trim and weld everything, but this is the general layout.

1 comment:

  1. I follow your blog quite regularly, the workmanship is absolutely incredible. I saw this build today and thought you might enjoy it. Its not often a build is on the same quality as yours.