I finished up my fuel tank today.
I finished bead rolling the fuel-inlet side, and drilled the holes for the fuel pump and level sensor. I'm using an Aeromotive Phantom 200 in-tank fuel pump setup. It's pretty deluxe, it comes with its own bulkhead which seals the supply line, vent line, return line, and power. I'm using a JAZ 33-240 ohm level sensor. My original setup used the factory VW pump and sensor, and I wasn't really happy with any of that.
I machined a -4 O-ring boss fitting on my lathe from 304 stainless to weld into the bottom. I didn't install a drain plug on my last tank, and regretted it when it came time to remove the tank!
I turned a step in the top side (which will be inside the tank) to locate itself into a 5/8' diameter drilled hole.
I also turned down some -6AN male union fittings. The union fittings were cheaper and easier to find than weld-on male stainless fittings, so I machined the back side off. These are going to be auxiliary vents. I might not use them, but I can easily plug them up.
Here is the top of the tank after all of the holes were cut. I used Lennox hole saws, which cut pretty well in the 304 stainless.
Here is the Aeromotive bulkhead fitting. It's a pretty nice piece!
This is the JAZ level sensor I'm using.
All bent up!
After bending and fitting the bottom piece:
I took the tank to Bill Lewis for final welding. I was really happy with the fit, I took my time with the layout and bends and ended up with a perfect open corner.
All welded! I picked it up in my old truck. There aren't any tie down holes in the bed, but I was able to find some!
The footprint gas pedal cracks me up every time lol.
Bill really did a beautiful job on the welding.
I did a lot of work on the fuel tank cradle as well. This holds the tank up in the car, and I wasn't really happy with this piece either.
I decided to grind all of the welds... some of them were really nasty!
I still have a little more work to do, but it's getting there.
I won't mount the stainless fuel cell directly to the frame, I plan to weld a steel plate onto the frame which will fully support the bottom of the tank. I laid it out in 20ga steel and bent everything up. I was having a good day today with fits, I was really happy with this piece as well. Drilling in the corner of the bend (before bending) really helped out.
All welded and ground.
Here is the finished piece. I also bead rolled a section to add a bit of stiffness, and drilled a clearance hole for my drain plug.
Here is how the tank fits inside. I added some curves to the flanges which match the bead rolled patterns in the sides of the tank.
The cradle rises a little higher in this corner. This corner is unsupported by the frame due to subframe bolt clearance issues, so the taller flange will add a little strength. I also plan to tie a filler neck guard into this tray, and its mounting point will weld directly to the tall section of the flange. I also left room for foam padding all around the tank, I didn't want any metal-to-metal contact on the tank itself.