Monday, August 5, 2019

I apologize for the lack of updates, I'll try to get back to current soon!

So this picture just about sums up the parts search for this project.  I purchased some brake pads for $6.14 and they arrived in a moldy box!


I also picked up a bunch of parts from Facebook Marketplace, like this hood, trim, and horn.


More junk to replace the parts that were missing or destroyed:


The brakes were in really bad shape - all of the lines and hoses were rotted and everything was a giant ball of rust.  I decided to rebuild the calipers with a $1.50 rebuild kit rather than replace them.


If course the bleeder was seized and snapped right off, so this became the first bolt I had to drill out... of many more to come!

Of course they're not a standard size either, but this is where my crazy tool addiction came in handy; I just happened to have an M7x1.0 tap and tap drill!

The pistons cleaned up pretty well

This is from one of the calipers which was previously remanufactured.  You can see they simply chrome plated right over the pitting, so hopefully I don't have any trouble with this.  This is how rebuilt calipers cost $12.


After I stripped them down, I soaked them in vinegar to remove all of the rust.

Fresh coat of BBQ black


New old stock!

All fresh!

Fresh master cylinder


Here is an example of the brake lines.  This was about average, some were worse.

The shoes and drums weren't too bad, but I decided to replace everything anyway.

My cousin Chris came out to help a bit with this project.  He's 17 and just learning about cars, so I figured I would give him the opportunity to help wrench on some junk.

Fresh Nicopp lines all around.  This is the rear brake proportioning valve

All fresh clips and new rubber lines:

While under the car checking out the brakes, I discovered this gem on the exhaust!

I cleaned the pipes, welded it back together, and coated everything in more BBQ black

And after all that, I passed my first milestone: fresh inspection!

No comments:

Post a Comment