Saturday, February 22, 2020

Table

New tools!  I haven't been buying tools much recently, but picked up a few Snap-on items from Snap-on Dan since he let me borrow the trailer.  Long fractional hex bits and 1/2" drive metric hex bits.


I also picked up some more Schaller bins, I moved a Craftsman 5-drawer toolbox to the new garage and ended up with an extra drawer since my lathe is staying at the old shop for a little while.


I found the first project for the new garage: a new work bench. I am making this from leftover junk - old building jack posts that were in the garage, old angle steel leftover from the garage construction, and an old bowling alley slab I purchased years ago for a project that I never started.

Here is the plan:

Here is the pile of jack posts that were left in the garage.  I figure if I'm ever doing anything that will require these, I'll probably be hiring it out to professionals.

The first step was to cope the ends, which I did in the mill (forgot to take pictures).  This is 2-3/4" diameter steel tubing, 0.095" wall.

I cut up some of the angle steel to use as crossmembers.




I used the slugs from the holes in the crossmembers to make end caps for the legs.  I did purchase proper leveling feet for this table, since it will be really heavy and I didn't want to use casters.

Here are most of the parts.  The jack posts include 2-1/2" tubing that nests into the 2-3/4" tubing, so I'm doubling up the legs and portions of the upper crossmembers for extra stiffness.

For the longitudional crossmember, I sliced a 3-1/2" x 5-1/2" angle to make two flat plates.

I cut some slugs from one of the 2-1/2" tubes to make fillers for the jack post holes.

Welding the caps on the legs

Parts all test fit


I laid the first weld bead in the new garage! Since I'm making this from scraps, I had to extend one of the flat crossmembers.  I didn't have a single piece long enough, so I welded it




1 comment: