Wednesday, August 1, 2012

More wetsanding.  Most of these parts are primered, they are awaiting paint. 


I swapped out the rear section of the A/C compressor so I can paint it separately.  I installed a junk one with a homemade gasket.  With the old setup, I would have had to loosen the bolts after paint, which would have cracked at the seams. 

Tonight I took apart the alternator to paint it.  I attempted this a few months ago but got stuck, after some advice from my friend Dave I got it apart tonight.

Here is the part I was stuck at.  After removing the commutator and cover, you have to un-crimp the stator wiring from the rectifier and diodes. 

I clipped each one (6 total) and pried the crimp joint apart.  This will get soldered later.

Rectifier removed!

Remove the rear half with a 3-jaw puller.  Carefully, because the black piece in the center is plastic!

Remove the front half with a 2-jaw puller.


Apart!  The case is getting painted high-gloss silver, and the windings will be painted with a high-temp, insulating black paint.

Our friend Miller brought out an old Harbor Freight blasting cabinet.  I tested it out and it works, but it needs new gloves and the glass needed cleaned.

Remember that table I built for the transmission, then tore apart because I needed space?  Well I rebuilt it.  But I lost one piece so it looks stupid now.

I'm going to stop at Harbor Freight this weekend for new gloves and hoses, then it will be ready to go!

1 comment:

  1. don't get HF gloves and hoses, get from TP tools. allegedly way better quality. some dont cost much more. they're right in ohio so shipping should be cheap and no tax online

    ReplyDelete