More new tools! OTC slide hammer set and front end service set.
I stopped for some more welding. The inside surfaces of this shift linkage piece will rub on the adjacent part, so painting the parts isn't going to work. I decided to add some 304 stainless cladding to the friction surfaces.
Bill laid down a wiggly foot fusion weld all around the edges of the 22ga stainless sheet.
After sanding off the weld and re-brushing the faces, this is the result.
I received the spherical bearings that are getting pressed into some of the other shift linkage parts. I was hoping for FK or Aurora bearings, but these QA1 imports look better than I expected.
I forgot to take a 'before' picture of these, but I machined my own spherical bearing housings with a groove in the face. I pressed the bearing in place, then smashed down the inner peak that I created. This swages the bearing in place, so I'm not relying only on the press fit. This is also much thinner than a retaining ring, so the whole package is smaller.
This is the top side, which will be visible.
Only 1-1/2 mroe parts and the shift linkage is complete!