Monday, March 10, 2014

This weekend I drove to Detroit with my buddy Chris for the Detroit Autorama. 

It's one thing to read about it in the news, but it's a surreal experience to walk through a city that is essentially abandoned.  On our 4 block walk from the hotel to the COBO center, we only passed a handful of open businesses.  The rest was boarded up, covered in graffiti, and falling apart.




The quality level of the cars at the show was on another level.  This show is the home of the Ridler award, one of the most prestigious awards in hot rodding. 

This was one of the eight finalists, or "Great 8," built by MirandaBuilt. In my opinion this was one of the best looking cars at the show.  The quality was simply unreal.

The event was pretty crowded, so I wasn't able to get very many good pictures.  Not that I'm good at taking pictures in general, but the crowds made it impossible.

This Camaro was also a Great 8 finalist, the work was flawless.  Literally every piece in this photo is customized or made from scratch.


The "Featured Builder" this year was Rad Rides by Troy.  They brought eight vehicles, and they were just plain nuts.  The build quality and attention to detail were like anything I have ever encountered.  Everywhere you look there are perfectly executed details.

This '56 Chrysler 300 was about a dozen shades of the same color, and it worked so perfectly well.  Even the spokes were painted a lighter shade of the pink color from the top.  It also had a 1000+hp twin turbo Nascar-spec V8.  This car was debuted at the same show in 2009, and looked as fresh and relevant as the day it was built.  Simply incredible.

I've seen pictures of this Torino, and never really though much about it.  After seeing it in person, the pictures quite simply do it no justice.  There are so many perfect details on this car, it's insane.  The lexan windshields are held on with tri-wing screws and jetnuts, and the same theme is carried through everything.  The window cranks are all custom machined pieces!  The hand riveted steel and leather interior was on another level.  This car makes me want to crush everything I've ever built, because it simply isn't even good enough anymore. 

The rear decklid was dimpled on the backside of each screw holding the deflector on. 

The engine bay is perfect.

So back to reality.  New tools!  I bought a bunch of brake and carb tools from Harry Epstein.  Other than the green SK T8 torx screwdriver, these are all made by Wilde Tool in the USA.  I don't know what any of these tools do, but I'm going to need them soon.

I'm back to work on my shift linkage for the Jetta.

I replaced the steel ball and plastic socket joint with a bunch of machined pieces and stainless rod ends.  This will be the theme throughout the linkage.

No comments:

Post a Comment