Sunday, June 30, 2013

I'm still moving along with the exhaust heat shield.

I machined 6 more mounting points, making a total of 12.

Paper layout of the fixture

After welding each of the rails, I bolted them to the first 6 mounts I made earlier.  If you look closely, you can see the left side rail warped during welding.

When I welded this tab on, it shrunk the inner edge of the driver side fixture rail.  I was able to stretch the welded area back out and straighten the tube.

After.  I should have held up a straight edge before and after, but the front edge moved about 1/8" after correcting the warped section.

More welding - center braces.


Installed in the car.  This fixture will be used to locate the mounting points for the exhaust heat shield, and will also be used to support the shield during welding.  With this fixture, I won't have to weld the heat shield overhead while it's in the car.

All 12 mounting points welded in.

No comments:

Post a Comment